Brief History

1886

Pastors through the years

The Church of God began on August 19, 1886, in Monroe County, Tennessee, near the North Carolina border. Former Baptist Richard Green Spurling preached in a mill-house along Barney Creek and eight persons formed a Christian Union for the purpose of following the New Testament as their rule for faith and practice, giving each other equal rights and privilege to interpret Scripture, and sitting together as the church of God. Twenty-one years later the growing movement formally adopted the name Church of God.

Beginning of the Tarboro Church of God

The Tarboro Church of God started from a tent meeting in a cotton field to a beautiful new brick church building located at 908 W. St. James Street.

1912

The Tarboro Church of God was chartered by the Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee in 1929 as Church no.0012. This means that the Tarboro Church of God was the 12th church to be chartered in this organization.

1931-1948: J.G. Perry, P.H. McCarn, Luther Denton, Fred Hardee, Clem Deans, Isaac Hinton, Harry Walker, John Edwards, Early E. Hurst, and Jesse Griggs.

1949 - 1953:  A . H . Clark

1953 - 1956:  W . P . Gasnell

1956 - 1958:  G . H . Grooms Jr.

1958 - 1974:  O . L . Dyson

1974 - 1977:  L . D . Hudson

1977 - 1979:  E . L . Turner

1979 - 1981:  Milan Boyd

1981 - 1982:  David Hatcher

1982 - 1992:  Haywood L. Preslar

1992 - 2001:  Reid Huffman

2001 - 2005:  Dale Morgan

2005 - PRESENT: Sammy Wood

First Location

The first church was a one room plank building, facing Poplar Street in what was then know as Keechtown

1931 - 1948

From 1931 to 1948 a total of ten men pastored this small church. At that time pastors were appointed in one year increments. Their names were: J.G. Perry, P.H. McCarn, Luther Denton, Fred Hardee, Clem Deans, Isaac Hinton, Harry Walker, John Edwards, Early E. Hurst, and Jesse Griggs.

1948

In 1948 under the pastorate of Rev. Jesse Griggs a new block church was built on Clay Street right around the corner from the wood frame building.

March 7, 1955

It was not until March 7, 1955, under the pastorate of Rev. W.P. Gosnell that the congregation moved from Clay Street to 412 Shirley Street.

September 1999

In September of 1999, Tarboro suffered from Hurricane Floyd. Brother and Sister Huffman were instrumental in setting up the Tarboro Church as a distribution center for those who were hard hit by the flood.

CONNECT WITH US

Tarboro Church of God Copyright © 2017

Design by: Isaiah Creech

OUR ADDRESS

 

Tarboro Church of God

412 Shirley Street, Tarboro

North Carolina 27886 United States

 

Phone: +1 252 823 0292

Fax: +1 252 563 6503

Email: icreech@tarborocog.com